Thursday 10 May 2018

EGYPT FROM MY CHILDHOOD MEMORIES




MEMORIES FROM MY CHILDHOOD

When I was seven years old my family and I went to Egypt!  Incredibly enough, I have  very cool memories of it!
I remember, while we were going to St. Catherine's monastery.  I saw the desert and I was amazed.  I especially love this memory because I still remember the many different colours of the sand: black, red, blue,green and brown. I would have never expected the sand to have so many shades and colours. 

 




ST. CATHERINE’S MONASTERY

Built between 548 and 565, the monastery is one of the oldest working Christian monasteries in the world. It’s official name is  "Sacred Monastery of the God-Trodden Mount Sinai". The site contains the world's oldest continually operating library, possessing many unique books including the Syriac Sinaiticus and, until 1859, the Codex Sinaiticus. A small town with hotels and swimming pools, called Saint Katherine City, has grown around the monastery
In St. Catherine's monastery we saw many interesting things like "the tree that never burns", the mount Sinai, a room full of monk's skulls and around the monastery there were many camels. We were visiting the monastery with a guide who told us St. Catherine's personal tragic story.



A MARTYR OF CHRISTIANITY

According to tradition, Catherine of Alexandria was a Christian martyr sentenced to death on the breaking wheel. When this failed to kill her, she was beheaded. According to tradition, angels took her remains to Mount Sinai. Around the year 800, monks from the Sinai Monastery found her remains.
(photo)

That was the most exciting experience I have ever had!   I remember everything as in a beautiful dream.

LORENZO M.






No comments:

Post a Comment