Wednesday 6 November 2019

WHY I LIKE PROG METAL MORE THAN OTHER KINDS OF MUSIC




Hi everyone, my name’s Francesco C. and I’m fond of prog metal. So I’d like to tell you the reasons why I like this kind of music  and why you should start listening to it.

  
Prog metal and prog metal famous bands
  
 Prog metal (short for progressive metal ) is a metal subgenre  born at the end of the ‘80s. This genre  includes songs and albums very different from other subgenres of metal rock. Bands which can’t be classified in any other subgenre of metal are progressive bands, but anyway they have some similar features:

- The extreme complexity of the songs,  which makes the members of those groups being very good. They’ve been studying their musical instrument for a long of time

- Songs generally can last from 4 minutes to more than 30 minutes, which is more than the average.

- Prog is influenced by lots of other kinds of music, such as jazz, classical and other subgenres of metal.    Songs are usually in odd-time signature


The oldest and most famous prog bands are the “Dream Theatre”, the “Symphony X”, the “Fates Warning” and the “Queensryche”.

Why I like prog metal more than other kinds of music

Now I can tell you why I love it. First of all,  I like this kind of music because I like playing music and I admire the members of those bands for their great skills. I especially admire keyboard player the Dream Theatre’s keyboard player, Jordan Rudess, and their guitarist too, John Petrucci. Well, honestly,  Dream Theatre are my favourite band. I also like the fact that when they play it seems like they aren’t doing any effort, but in reality they play very difficult songs.

     



That isn’t the main reason. I think prog metal songs are more emotional than the 95% of the songs from other genres. I’ll take pop songs as an example.
They mustn’t be too long (less than 4  minutes) and they have all similar chords because they are expected to be easy and popular. The melody of a pop song  must immediately catch the listener’s ear since the first listening.

Those rules don’t apply to prog metal songs, which can be free as for topic and for arrangement. Pop songs can express just sadness or  happiness, prog metal songs instead can provoke emotions like rage, fear, anxiety, and so on.

Anyhow, my intention with this post is not to make you change your mind,  if you like pop music or more traditional rock. My purpose is to give prog metal a shout out,  because I think that it isn’t appreciated and listened to as much as it deserves. 

What about giving it a try right now? Watch the video below!

Francesco C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment