Monday 6 December 2021

ADELE, 30 AND EASY ON ME

 


After 19, 21 and 25, finally on November 19th Adele published her fourth album, “30”. She started to work on this album in 2018 and finished it  early in 2020.

The whole album has pop, jazz and soul songs addressing Adele's divorce, motherhood, and the scrutiny of fame, with themes of acceptance, hope and heartache.



These are the words Adele posted on Instagram on the release of her new album. 

Leading up to the release of 30, Adele dropped the single “Easy On Me". She announced the release of this song on Instagram with a short trailer:




Of course the songs are all incredible  and  meaningful, but the one that I appreciate 

the most is Easy on Me.

 Lyrics

There ain't no gold in this river

That I've been washin' my hands in forever

I know there is hope in these waters

But I can't bring myself to swim

When I am drowning in this silence

Baby, let me in

Go easy on me, baby

I was still a child

Didn't get the chance to

Feel the world around me

I had no time to choose

What I chose to do

So go easy on me

There ain't no room for things to change

When we are both so deeply stuck in our ways

You can't deny how hard I have tried

I changed who I was to put you both first

But now I give up

Go easy on me, baby

I was still a child

Didn't get the chance to

Feel the world around me

Had no time to choose

What I chose to do

So go easy on me

I had good intentions

And the highest hopes

But I know right now

That probably doesn't even show

Go easy on me, baby

I was still a child

I didn't get the chance to

Feel the world around me

I had no time to choose

What I chose to do

So go easy on me

 


 Adele has spoken in depth about the meaning of her new album as a whole, saying that it was written during the most turbulent period of her life, the divorce with ex-husband Simon Konecki. “Easy On Me” seems to lead the charge with this messaging, as an ode to that period in her life.

The song is a focus on the singer’s fraught childhood, her lost marriage and the lessons learnt and unlearnt about family, love and abandonment along the way, and, in the end, she reflects on the end of a relationship.

“Easy On Me” has a distinct feel of hopefulness, along with an exploration of despair that the singer has clearly experienced throughout the past few tumultuous years in her personal life.

This is not expressed only in words, but also in the video, that is, in my opinion, one of the best music videos she has made, one of the most emotional and expressive in her music career.

No comments:

Post a Comment