Friday 4 November 2022

CARPE DIEM

  


 

Carpe Diem is a Latin aphorism, usually translated as "Seize the Day" in English, taken from the Roman poet Horace's Odes (23 BC).

Last year I studied this poem and now that  I'm in my last year of school I know what I want to do in the future. But many people still have confused ideas about what they want to do and become. The meaning of this poem helped me understand a lot about myself and what I really want to do in my life.

 

So I decided to tell you about it, hoping it will help you too.

 

Carpe Diem Poem | Latin

 

Tu ne quaesieris, scire nefas, quem mihi, quem tibi

finem di dederint, Leuconoe, nec Babylonios

temptaris numeros. Ut melius, quidquid erit, pati!

Seu pluris hiemes seu tribuit Iuppiter ultimam,

quae nunc oppositis debilitat pumicibus mare

Tyrrhenum, sapias: vina liques et spatio brevi

spem longam reseces. Dum loquimur, fugerit invida

aetas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.

 

Seize the Day Poem | English

 

Don't ask (it's forbidden to know) what end the gods have given me or you, Leuconoe.

Don't play with Babylonian numerology either.

How much better it is to endure whatever will be!

Whether Jupiter has allotted you many more winters or this one,

which even now wears out the Tyrrhenian sea on the opposing rocks, is the final one be wise,

be truthful, strain the wine, and scale back your long hopes to a short period.

While we speak, envious time will have already fled:

seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the next day.

 

Meaning

The concept of ‘carpe diem’ revolves around focusing on the present as much as possible, and taking desirable action now, instead of postponing it for later.  Recognize  the brevity of life and focus your attention and actions on the present moment.

 

I know that it is not easy to catch the meaning of this poem. When I first  read it I was like:  "How should I interpret it?"

I will give you three tips that helped me to understand the meaning of this poem which then inspired me to live better:

 

1)     Get clarity on what is important in your life

When you know what is important in your life, you are less likely to be distracted or procrastinate.

You are more likely to take action to achieve those aspects of life that are important to you rather than ignore or put them aside for another day.

 

2)     Let go your regrets

Focusing on all the mistakes or the things you could have, would have, or should have done creates inertia in your life. Carpe Diem is all about taking action and catching opportunities, the complete opposite of living your life in regret.

 

3)     Take care of yourself

This is very important because when you take care of yourself, you feel good. You feel good about yourself and about the day ahead. You feel like you can take on any challenge that might come your way.

 

Dead poets society



In this movie that I’ve recently seen for the first time, Mr Keating (Robin Williams) teaches his students about “Carpe Diem” and says: “Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary”.  Mr Keating’s  lesson on Carpe Diem   will inspire you to live your life to the fullest!

Life is too short to ignore the opportunity to seize the day!

 

Loved it, I recommend it.

 Camilla, 5sc 


WATCH THE TRAILER

 

No comments:

Post a Comment