Monday 29 October 2018

GEORGE GRAY - CATCH THE WIND OF DESTINY WHEREVER THEY DRIVE THE BOAT


Here are Andrea's and Sofia's reflections of Edgar Lee Masters' poem, George Gray

ANDREA: REGRET IN GEORGE GRAY

This epitaph by Edgar Lee Masters wants to underline the irremediable despair of those who didn’t have the courage to face life in order to fully live it. The poem is written in free verse , without any rhyme nor structures of stanzas.


I have studied many times
The marble which was chiseled for me--
A boat with a furled sail at rest in a harbor.
In truth it pictures not my destination
But my life.
For love was offered me and I shrank from its disillusionment;
Sorrow knocked at my door, but I was afraid;
Ambition called to me, but I dreaded the chances.
Yet all the while I hungered for meaning in my life.
And now I know that we must lift the sail
And catch the winds of destiny
Wherever they drive the boat.
To put meaning in one’s life may end in madness,
But life without meaning is the torture
Of restlessness and vague desire--
It is a boat longing for the sea and yet afraid.

(Edgar Lee Masters, Spoon River Anthology)



With reference to the main theme,  I would like to quote some words of the American philosopher Thoreau who wrote:

”I went to the woods because I wished to leave deliberately…and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life.”

On the contrary, in his life George Gray  was unable to follow this teaching  and chose to live an empty, emotionless life .
But now that he is dead, he regrets wasting every possibility offered to him in his life and recognizes that his greatest mistake was keeping “a furled sail” and not “catching the winds of destiny”, with the result of living a meaningless life.  Since our life is the only one we have and there is nothing else more precious he invites us to not make the same mistake.
This epitaph is based on a metaphor, depicted on the marble of George Gray’s tomb, a boat “at rest in a harbor” which represents him ”longing for the sea and yet afraid”.
In my opinion, this figure of speech allows the author to express the concept of regret very effectively.

To sum up, with this poem the poet aims at and tries to explain the fact that life is a unique opportunity and that we should not waste it, although sometimes we seem to forget. 


SOFIA - THE WORLD IS AS YOU DREAM IT


In the course of our life we often find ourselves facing difficulties. It doesn't matter if they are small or big, what matters is our attitude every time we have to face one. 

George Gray gives us some advice about it.
The poem 'George Gray' is an epitaph included in the famous 'Spoon River Anthology' by Edgar Lee Masters. The protagonist of this epitaph, George Gray, speaks in first person to tell about his past life. He lived a life of safety and comfort avoiding pain and adventures. On his gravestone,  a boat with a furled sail has been chiseled. In this poem the boat in the harbor is a metaphor for George Gray's life. We can compare George Gray to a boat that "longs for the sea and yet (is) afraid". His life has been characterized by laziness and immobility and now it is too late for him, since he is dead.  
For this reason he invites us not to make the same mistake. He invites us to take  sides in our life. We must look for a purpose, a meaning. We have to run risks and have the courage to face the difficulties and problems. Sloth is the worst shelter in which you can take refuge: this was George Gray's big mistake.
So if you wish a life without regrets, have the courage to make mistakes!
"Live a life you will remember." (Avicii- The Nights)         

8 comments:

  1. Well done, Andrea!
    I've loved this poem since the moment I read it!
    I really appreciated the fact that you linked this poem to Thoreau's words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently we have a bunch of poetry lovers in our staff and that's really cool! This poem is so stimulating, thoght-provoking and positive that everyone should read it and even memorize it. It should be treasured to face the inevitable blue moments we all happen to experience from time to time! Thank you, Andrea and Sofia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. George Gray is my favorite poem of Spoon River Anthology. “Catch the winds of destiny” is a wonderful advice that he gives us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, G.B. Let's treasure G.G.'s wise advice!

      Delete
  4. Wow thought-provoking is the right word to describe this post. I think this Blog has had another colour since most of the staff is dealing with their last year of High School. I mean... "deeper" posts, we needed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is welcome on LET'S BLOG! and every interest or passion they want to write about and share. This is a web magazine ;-)
      However, you are right Corrado, some posts are more thought-provoking than others.

      Delete
  5. About this specific post I want to say that is a great food for thought for everyone's life. It also reminded me to a phrase I read once in London entering a book shop. It was kind of the following: "If you are afraid of going through the woods, how can you expect to live in a fairy tale?".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who wouldn't like to live in a fairy-tale? But ... beware of wolves, evil witches, jealous step-mothers, orcs, etc. !!!
      Just kidding, Corrado. Thanks for your comments!

      Delete