Subiaco’s fortress is not only a beautiful architectural site, but it also embodies the history of the surrounding territory.
In the course of the centuries, the feudal town of Subiaco became richer and more important. Due to the conflicts between the monks and the citizens, the Pope removed the Abbot from his position and created a new authority to govern the town. The first was Cardinal Giovanni Torquemada , the second was Cardinal Rodrigo Borgia, the future Pope Alexander VI.
In 1476 Pope Alexander VI completely restored the fortress and also built the East tower. Cardinal Borgia ruled over Subiaco until the end of 1492.
The Fortress then remained in the Colonnas’ possession until 1608. In the 1600s the ownership of the castle changed twice, passing first to the Borghese family and then to the Barberinis, who became the last family to own it prior to 1738, when the castle and the town returned once again to the property of the Papal Cardinals.
In the middle of the 18 century, Pius VI built the middle building of the fortress and transformed the entire castle into a grand Palace for himself and for the future Bishops.
Finally in 1915, it was given back to the Abbot of the Monastery of Saint Scholastica, who to this day holds its possession.
It is located on two floors: the first floor was inhabitated by the Colonna family. Their apartments include the banchetti room , the presentation room and the zodiac room. On the second floor there are the Braschi apartments, the commenda apartments and the rooms celebrating the glory of Pius VI which include the continent room , the throne room, the library and the alcove.